Sharapova to Miss Olympics, US Open Due to Shoulder Tear

Sharapova to Miss Olympics, US Open Due to Shoulder Tear

Three-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova will miss the upcoming Beijing Olympic Games and the US Open according to her official website, mariasharapova.com.


After meeting with her doctor, Sharapova says she was diagnosed with a “moderate tear” in her right rotator cuff tendon dating back to April. The injury forced her withdrawal from the Montreal Rogers Cup Wednesday and will sideline her for the remainder of the summer hard court season.

Sharapova is anticipating that after rehabilitation she’ll be able to return to play in 2-3 three months.

“I am going to work hard to get healthy”, the 21-year-old wrote. “I am going to do some extra work for my amazing sponsors who are always patient with me while I am playing tournaments and training. And I’m going to work on some business projects that I never have time to do, which will definitely keep me busy.”

Sharapova, a former World No. 1, won the US Open in 2006. She also won Wimbledon in 2004 and the Australian Open earlier this year. Her streak of participating in 27 straight Grand Slam events beginning with Slam her debut at the 2003 Australian Open will come to an end when the US Open tennis championships commence on August 25.

0 comments: