Cadel Evans makes strong recovery from knee injury


Cadel Evans makes strong recovery from knee injury


CADEL Evans has made a stunning recovery from knee injury and is now hopeful of contesting the Beijing Olympic cycling road race and time trial double, only days after it appeared his Games dreams had been shattered.

Seemingly out of the race last week after damaging his right leg in a nightclub stumble, the Tour de France runner-up yesterday revealed he had made significant fitness gains.

Support Cadel Evans with a message on his Hero Wall

"When I got off the plane in Switzerland last Monday, and my knee was swollen, I'd say my chance of competing at the Olympics were 0.1 out of 10," he said.

"Now, I give myself a six out of 10 chance, maybe seven out of 10.

"It is improving every day, hour by hour.

"Absolutely, I give myself a chance of riding at the Olympics. It's feeling better all the time, but I want to get it to eight out of 10.

"I want to do what is the best thing by the team."

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates confirmed Evans was "responding especially well to treatment."

"We're hoping he will be in the road race and certainly he'll be competing in the time trial," Coates said.

"There's no doubt he's coming."

Evans will make a final decision on riding in Beijing today after more tests at the Australian team training headquarters in Varese, Italy.

The Victorian slipped on a wet dance floor at a Tour de France celebration at the Hard Rock Cafe in Paris eight days ago.

He spent hours every day since with doctors, physiotherapists and masseurs.

Evans last week withdrew from the Olympic time trial, but he is now back in the hunt after the International Cycling Union granted Australia a second spot with a wildcard.

Triple world champion Michael Rogers is already assured of a berth, having last week replaced Evans.

Evans's knee is bandaged after a heavy crash on the ninth stage of the Tour de France, a day before he claimed the leader's yellow jersey.

Evans was ultimately beaten by 58 seconds by Spaniard Carlos Sastre in one of the most tumultuous races in history.

The Australian last night conceded "I've had a little too much drama over the past two weeks", referring to his race fall, failure to overhaul Sastre in the Tour time trial, and the nightclub mishap.

"What happened at the function (at the Hard Rock Cafe) was that the floor was wet and I slipped," he said.

"It was a simple as that.

"It was an accumulation of fatigue and sitting on a bike for three weeks, which, from a posterial and physical point of view, is not good for your body.

"My orthapaedic surgeon told me people have (had) a lot worse injuries by slipping in their own baths."

Evans said he was tempted by the offer to ride the time trial next week, provided he starts - and survives - Saturday's sapping 245km road race.

"(National coach) Shayne Bannan called me with the (time trial) news and I was on the table getting treatment with my knee all bandaged up in ice and an electro-stimulator attached," he said.
"He said, 'We've got that second place'. I looked at my swollen knee and thought 'oh good for you.'

"Every day I'm doing the physio and treatment on my knee and everyday it's getting better but we'll decide on Monday morning whether I go or Adam Hansen goes in my place.

"For me to go and start the time trial I'd have to have a pretty stellar ride in the road race.

"I don't want to go unless I can do a good result for myself and the team or contribute to a good result for the team.

"So if I don't recover from my injury and am not close to my best I don't mind staying at home."
Bannan said a series of tests run on Evans indicated the knee was improving.

"Treatment on Cadel's knee has been going well and we're hopeful that on Monday he'll get the all clear to fly to Beijing," Bannan said.

"Considering the progress of his recovery we're optimistic that he can back up after the road race and give the time trial a decent go."

0 comments: